The purpose of the CEReS is to conduct research on remote sensing and its application to the environment, as a core center of remote sensing in Japan.
The CEReS research activities are based on the major three programs; (1) Innovation in remote sensing technology and algorithm, (2) Integrated use of geoinformation, and (3) Advanced application of satellite remote sensing. The Program 1 is to explore novel sensors and algorithms in order to establish remote sensing methodologies that enable more in-depth and comprehensive analyses of various targets of our Earth. This program gets involved in the establishment of the next-generation satellite with a feature of optical to microwave sensors and the national satellite program. The purpose of the Program 2 is to promote atmospheric/terrestrial environmental studies based on integrated use of geoinfomation including satellite-borne and ground-based measurement data, and their extracted parameters of environmental characteristics. This program includes also improvement of the global monitoring methods in atmosphere/water cycle, vegetation, land use, etc. as well as the development of huge database archiving system. The Program 3 aims at solving important issues of global and regional environment on both scientific and social bases by the comprehensive analysis, based on the integration of multi-layered data archived in the CEReS. The kernel of the program is to develop and apply the advanced methodologies through the synergetic activities of various different fields in natural and social sciences.
The huge data set on satellite NOAA and GMS(MTSAT) and the related things are being archived in the CEReS and open to the community by Section for Satellite Data Processing of the CEReS. The CEReS is also one of members of Virtual Laboratory association which consists of four key centers of domestic universities on the Earth environmental sciences.
In education, the CEReS contributes to Faculty of Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, Graduate School of Sciences and Graduate School of Advanced Integration Sciences for Bachelor, Master and Doctor programs. This Center also accepts many foreign students from many countries every year.
Articles of the CEReS
・The Annual report of the CEReS (Published in Japanese)
・Proceedings of the CEReS International Symposium on Remote Sensing
・The CEReS Newsletter (Monthly published in Japanese on the CEReS home page)
Other pages in this category
- Center for Environmental Remote Sensing (CEReS)
- Medical Mycology Research Center (MMRC)
- Chemical Analysis Center
- Institute of Media and Information Technology (IMIT)
- Center for Frontier Science
- Center for General Education
- Center for International Research and Education
- Center for Language Education (CLE)
- Marine Biosystems Research Center
- Research Center for Frontier Medical Engineering
- Center for Environment, Health and Field Sciences
- Biomedical Research Center
- Center for Forensic Mental Health
- Center for Sustainable Tourism Creation
- Center for Preventive Medical Science
- Venture Business Laboratory
- Radioisotope Research Center
- Organization for Academic-Industrial Collaboration and Intellectual Property
- Safety and Health Organization
- Schools and Center Attached to Faculty of Education
- University Library
- University Hospital
- Academic Link Center
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University and Chiba University International Cooperative Research Center (SJTU-CU ICRC)')