Welcome to Chiba University

Insurance Policies

Besides National Health Insurance, which is mandatory for foreign nationals who are issued a Resident Card, Chiba University offers two kinds of insurance policies to students: Students Health Mutual Aid (Gojokai) and Personal Accident Insurance for Students (Gakkensai).

1. Students Health Mutual Aid (Gojokai)

a. Coverage

This Chiba University’s original insurance policy counterbalances your medical fees covered by National Health Insurance: where National Health Insurance covers 70% of your medical bills, Students Health Mutual Aid covers the remaining 30% (2/3 of the remaining for dental care costs).

The maximum total coverage is ¥50,000 a year for each student. Medical treatment and services exempt from National Health Insurance, such as checkups, vaccinations, injuries from traffic accidents and medical equipment, are also exempt from Students Health Mutual Aid.

Non-degree-seeking students (research students, J-PAC students and other exchange students) are not eligible to register for this Aid.

b. When to register

You are requested to pay the membership fee at the time of admission to the university.

c. Membership fees*

  Period Fees
undergraduate students (except School of Medicine) 4 years ¥8,000
undergraduate students admitted at the 3rd year 2 years ¥4,000
undergraduate students of School of Medicine 6 years ¥12,000
2-year master’s degree course students 2 years ¥4,000
4-year doctoral course students of Medicine or Pharmaceutical Sciences 4 years ¥8,000
3-year master’s degree and doctoral course students 3 years ¥6,000

*Fees are subject to change without prior notice.

d. How to claim

Turn in your receipts within a month from the date your treatment ends for each illness to the Health Center (Inohana and Matsudo Campus students can claim at the academic affairs office of their faculty/school). If you claim by the 15th of each month, the reimbursement will be made at the end of the month. April 15 is the last day to submit your claim for treatment you had in the previous school year (April – March).

 

2. Personal Accident Insurance for Students (Gakkensai)

This insurance offered by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services covers accidents and liabilities that occur when students are attending school and extracurricular activities and commuting to school. All students enrolling at Chiba University are required to purchase this insurance. You can obtain a leaflet of detailed information in English, Chinese and Korean at the Student Support Division.

2-1. Accident insurance

a. Coverage

This policy covers contingent accidents that occur when students are participating in experiments, internships, and athletics as a part of class activities, school events and extracurricular activities. It also covers unforeseen accidents that occur while commuting between campuses and their home for the purpose of attending activities stated above. For details, refer to the leaflet.

  In class/School events When commuting Extracurricular activities/Other
Death ¥20 million ¥10 million ¥10 million
Residual disability ¥900,000 ~ 30 million ¥450,000 ~ 15 million ¥450,000 ~ 15 million
Medical treatment ¥3,000 ~ 300,000 ¥6,000 ~ 300,000 (when more than 4 days of medical treatment is needed) ¥30,000 ~ 300,000 (when more than 14 days of medical treatment is needed)
Hospital admission ¥4,000/day

b. When to register

You are requested to pay the membership fee at the time of admission to the university.

c. Insurance fees

Fees depend on the faculty/graduate school you belong to. The average annual fee is around ¥1,200 ~ 1,500.

 

2-2. Liability insurance

a. Coverage

This is a policy available for those who have the Accident Insurance stated above. It covers damage and injury that occur when students are participating in experiments, internships, and athletics as a part of class activities, school events and extracurricular activities. It also covers incidents that occur while commuting between campus and home for the purpose of attending these activities. For details, refer to the leaflet.

Liability coverage: maximum ¥100 million per case

b. When to register

You are requested to pay the membership fee at the time of admission to the university.

c. Insurance fees

Fees depend on the faculty/graduate school you belong to. The average annual fee is around ¥210 ~ 500 for most students.

Go to Chiba University Home