Welcome to Chiba University

Responsibilities of Students

1. Bulletin boards & Emails

A variety of announcements and notifications from the university are posted on bulletin boards around campus. You are responsible to stay informed.
Check the bulletin boards regularly, as a failure to receive important notices in a timely manner may affect your university career.
Important and urgent messages from the university may also be sent to you by email.

Bulletin board location Information posted
faculty/graduate schools classes, registration
Student Support Division tuition waivers, scholarships, club activities
Career Support Division job opportunities
General Education Division general education classes
Center for International Education scholarships, housing applications, immigration
Campus libraries special events


2. Notification requirement

You must report to the university in writing when there is any change in your status (visa status, home address/phone number, etc.), when you plan to take a leave from school for any reason, or when you decide to withdraw from school.
You MUST obtain permission if you commute to school by bicycle or motorcycle. These application forms are available at the academic affairs office of your faculty/graduate school.

  When to report Where to report
application for authorized absence
mourning leave within a week after the leave academic affairs office of your faculty/graduate school
sick leave
internship leave prior to the leave or within a week after the leave
school activity leave
change in address/phone number/visa status/foreign resident registration number ASAP
application for leave of absence (Kyuugaku) by at least a month prior to the starting date of a leave/re-enrollment/withdrawal
application for re-enrollment
application for withdrawal
bicycle/motorcycle commuting registration ASAP


3. Authorized absence (Kouketsu)

Your attendance will be excused in such circumstances as described below, if you report the fact to the university in writing within a week after the period of leave.

- mourning leave if your parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild dies - sick leave if you are affected by any of the infectious disease stated under the School Health Law (see "4. School Health Law" below) - internship leave if you are away due to training or internship such as teaching practice, nursing care, and other activities authorized by the dean of your faculty/graduate school - school activity leave if you participate in extracurricular activities authorized by the university


4. School Health Law

If you are infected or suspected of being infected with a contagious disease, you should report it to your faculty/graduate school immediately. You must not attend classes or any school activities until you turn in a written statement of resolution of infection issued by your doctor to the university.
Contagious diseases stated under the School Health Law include:

      • -influenza (including H5N1 and H1N1), SARS, pertussis, diphtheria, measles, chickenpox, mumps, rubella, PCF, tuberculosis


5. Campus rules

a. Smoking

Smoking is prohibited in all buildings and facilities on Chiba University campuses. Smoking is only permitted in the designated open areas on each campus. You must not smoke while walking or throw away cigarette butts anywhere on any of the campuses or on the streets outside. The legal smoking age in Japan is 20.

b. Bicycles on campus

If you use a bicycle on campus or commute to campus by bicycle, your bicycle requires a parking sticker. You first need to register your bicycle at the University COOP Housing & Jobs Referral Center (Sumai Arubaito Shokai Center) located in the Campus Life Building in order to purchase a parking sticker. The sticker costs ¥500. You can park your bicycle only in the designated areas on campus. Chiba University has a right to remove bicycles without a parking sticker or those not parked properly from the campus.

c. Use of fire

Leisure activities using fire including fireworks, barbecues, and campfires are not allowed without permission on Chiba University campuses.

d. Drugs

Possession or use of illegal drugs is not only against student regulations of Chiba University but is a serious crime in Japan. Once you get involved in drugs, it leads to irreversible consequences that end up destroying your academic, family and social life. Marijuana (or cannabis, hemp) is included as one of the illegal drugs in Japan though it may not be in some countries and regions.

Go to Chiba University Home