Daily Life

Banking and Payment Matters

1. Currency exchange

Currency can be exchanged to Japanese yen at Narita and Haneda International Airports. Check the airport websites for opening hours of exchange counters and kinds of convertible currencies.

Narita Airport


Haneda Airport


Some banks in Chiba city also offer currency exchange service, but opening days and hours are limited compared to currency exchange counters at the airports.. For detailed information, contact ISD.

2. Bills & Coins

There are 4 types of bills and 6 types of coins circulating in Japan. Note that the ¥2,000- bill is rarely used.

Bills: ¥10,000, ¥5,000, ¥2,000, ¥1,000
Coins: ¥500, ¥100, ¥50, ¥10, ¥5, ¥1

3. Banking

When choosing a bank, consider service charges and interest rates as well as branch and ATM locations. Note that MEXT (Japanese Government) scholarship students and those receiving JASSO scholarship must have a Japan Post Bank (Yucho-ginko) account to receive their scholarship.

a. When opening an account

You will be asked to present the following. Confirm with the bank for details. - passport
- National Health Insurance holder's card
- Resident Card or Juminhyo
- personal seal (Inkan)*
*Japan Post Bank does not require an Inkan.

Note that some services are restricted for a certain period (usually for six months) at most banks for the account opened by foreign residents according to the law regulating fraudulent financial transactions such as money laundering. For this reason, you may not be able to receive money to your account by wire transfer while this restriction applies. Be sure to bring enough cash or a credit card with a cash advance function so that you can have cash in hand whenever necessary. Or, the money transfer services such as Western Union could be your option: there are several agents in Chiba, one close to Nishi-Chiba and Inohana campuses. You have no problem receiving scholarship from JASSO and MEXT since those are “deposited” (not transferred) to your account.


b. Bankbook & Cash card

You will be given a bankbook and a cash card when you open an account. - bankbook A bankbook is useful to keep track of your money flow: you can print your deposit/withdrawal record and the account balance in the bankbook at ATMs. You can withdraw money from your account with your bankbook and Inkan used to open the account in-person with the teller. ALWAYS keep your Inkan separate from your bankbook for safety reasons.

- cash card You can withdraw money from your account with your cash card at ATMs. You must punch in your designated 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access your account. Your PIN is a secret numeric password that protects your account against unauthorized use.

c. ATMs

ATMs are located inside bank offices as well as at most convenience stores and supermarkets. ATMs at convenience stores are available 24 hours, but certain processing fees are charged for early/late hour and weekend/holiday transactions.

d. When permanently leaving Japan

You are requested to withdraw all money and close your account before you leave.

4. Paying matters

While cash and credit cards are the major forms of payment in Japan, use of electronic money is also increasing. Some mobile phones are equipped with an IC chip that enables the handset to function as an electric money paying device. Debit cards are also used in Japan.
It is not customary to tip in Japan. For example, you do not need to tip at restaurants or taxi drivers.

Go to Chiba University Home