Welcome to Chiba University

Academic Services

Academic services for students are administered by the respective departments and divisions of the university.

1. Student ID card

You are requested to carry your Student ID Card with you at all times, along with your Foreign Resident Registration Card or Residence Card (zairyu card). Be careful not to damage or bring your card into contact with a magnet since it contains magnetically encoded information.

a. Your student ID card* is issued at

  1. academic affairs office of the faculty/school/graduate school/center that you are admitted to.
  2. *If you are admitted either as a MEXT intensive Japanese course student or Japan - Korea Joint Exchange Program for Science and Engineering student, your first ID will be issued at CIE.

b. You will be asked to present your Student ID Card when you

- take examinations
- use campus libraries
- have an annual health checkup at the Health Center
- purchase a train pass/ticket at a student discount
- are asked to do so by a university staff

c. You may have your student ID card reissued, if it has been lost or damaged.

Apply for a new card at the same office you received your first ID. To receive your new ID, you will need: - blank ID card (available at the University Bookstore (COOP) for ¥350)
- one recent face shot (3.5 cm x 2.5 cm, no hat/cap)

2. Chiba University email account

You will be given a Chiba University Integrated Mail System account which entitles you to use email functions and Bulletin Board System (BBS). Important notifications from the university are sent to you at this email account, and it is your responsibility to check them periodically.

a. How to receive your email account

  1. + Degree-seeking students (undergraduate and graduate students)
      • -You will be given your user number and password, which authorize you to apply for a university email account, at the admission guidance of your faculty/graduate school. You may use these to login to campus computers available to students.
  2. + Non-degree-seeking students
    • (research students, exchange students including J-PAC students, and MEXT intensive Japanese course students)
      • -You need to request your user number and password, which authorize you to apply for a university email account. Obtain a request form at the academic affairs office of your faculty/graduate school/center.

b. How to check your emails

+ Degree-seeking students (undergraduate and graduate students) - by the web mail system, go to: http://cuacmsrv.chiba-u.jp
- You can also use an email client of your choice. If you need setup tips, visit ISD.

3. Tutors

If you are a newly admitted international student, you can have a voluntary Japanese student tutor who will support your campus life for a designated period of time depending of your student status. If you are interested in having a tutor, ask at the academic affairs office of your faculty.

4. Certificates

University certificates and transcripts can be issued by upon request.

Type of document Distribution location
academic transcript 1,2 A Japanese language version can be issued by the automated issuing machine located in:

a. building A (Nishi-Chiba)
b. Faculty of Engineering building 1F (Nishi-Chiba)
c. School of Medicine Main Building (Inohana)
d. Faculty of Horticulture administration building (Matsudo)

1For an English language version, apply at the office of your faculty/graduate school.
J-PAC students should ask at the International Student Division.

2Only available from the 3rd semester to graduation at the machine. In other cases, apply at the office of your faculty/graduate school.

graduation certificate 1
certificate of enrollment1
student discount certificate for transportation
health checkup result
commuting certificate for trainsacademic affairs desk of faculty/graduate school
for buses Student Support Division
any certificate regarding Japanese government scholarship (MEXT) Consult the International Student Division
scholarship recipient certificate (from JASSO, private foundations)

5. Student discount for transportation

a. Discount commuting pass (Teiki-ken)

If you are an undergraduate or graduate student of the university (research students and exchange students are excluded), you can purchase a train/bus pass to commute to your university campus at a student discount rate. You need to present a Commuting Certificate when you purchase your pass. The Commuting Certificate is issued at:

      • -if you commute only by trains ⇒ academic affairs office of your faculty/graduate school
      • -if you commute by buses ⇒ Student Support Division

b. Discount travel by JR*

When you plan to travel more than 100 km by JR, you can purchase a ticket at a discount rate by presenting the Student Discount Certificate for Transportation (Gakuwari-sho). Gakuwari-sho cannot be issued to non-degree-seeking students.

This certificate is: - issued by automated issue machine on campus
- limited to 10 certificates per person a year
- expired after 3 months from the date of issue

* It is prohibited to: - use someone else’s discount certificate to purchase a ticket
- travel with a ticket purchased under someone else’s certificate
- purchase a ticket with a fraudulent discount certificate
- board a train without possessing your ID

6. Counseling

Chiba University offers consultation services for students who have academic, health and social concerns. If you feel uneasy or stressed and it becomes too much to deal with on your own, ask for help ASAP. Your privacy will be kept strictly confidential.

  1. For consultation, visit any of the following:
Go to Chiba University Home