Extension of Period of Stay
Those wishing to continue to study at Chiba University beyond the expiration date of the authorized period of stay must apply for an extension.
Applications are accepted three months before the expiration of your period of your stay.
Please complete the procedure by the day of the expiration.
- Application for Extension of Period of Stay （available at Immigration Services Bureaus, and downloadable from the Immigration Services Agency’s website link below）. Forms "For organization part 1 and part 2" must be completed by your faculty / graduate school.
*Currently forms are not downloadable at MOJ's website. Please find "PDF" or "Excel" at the Japanese ver. website
- ID photo (4cm x 3cm)
- Passport （original and also copy）
※Identification matters and Landing permission indicia or status of residency matters and period stated pages.
※If there is no stamp of status of residency and have residence card, only Identification matters page copy needed.
- Residence Card（original and a copy of front / back）
- If you are a Research student, you need to present a document explaining the research content（research period, content of detail and the professor’s name and position written）
- Certificate of enrollment
- Academic transcript
- If your academic record is not sufficient and/or if you repeat a year, you need to submit a letter of reason and a letter of recommendation from your supervisor.
※ If you take a leave of absence for a certain period of time, a letter of reason or a letter of leave of absence is necessary.
- Out of students who got the Visa status renewed and have entered to our university from other universities, those who will be renewing the status of visa for the first time are needed to submit the Graduation certificate and the transcript from previous school.
- A document showing the economic ability to live in Japan （a certificate of scholarship, a copy of bankbook, a copy of part-time withholding slip and or a remittance certificate etc.）
- Handling charge of 4,000 yen
※There may be needed some other documents as the Immigration Services Bureau asks.
- The maximum length a research student （undergraduate or graduate） can stay on a residence status of "Student （ryugaku ）" is two years including any period spent as an research student at any other universities. This does not apply in some exceptional circumstances.
- You will be considered an illegal immigrant if you overstay your period of stay by even just one day, so be sure to apply for an extension as early as possible.